SVG Cancer Hospital, Miraj
This is a project by
Shirish Beri and Associates
and it is located at
SVG Cancer Hospital, Miraj.
Shirish Beri and Associates
Shri Siddhi Vinayak Ganapati Cancer Hospital for Sanjeevan Medical Foundation
The original brief for this hospital was really very brief as when the whole project was initiated, there were no funds and thus the scope of the project was limited to about 1500 sq.m only.
Gradually as the project progressed with good intentions, donations flowed in; technical liaison with TATA Memorial Hospital and others was also established. This called for a number of modifications and expansion (to 7500 sq.m. in Phase-1) to the original scheme.
However, inspite of this, the basic designing concepts have been retained. The basic criteria that have shaped this design are –
- Creation of an environment that does not convey the stereotyped, dull, dark, smelly and claustrophobic ambiance of a typical hospital. Good light, ventilation and a lively open interaction with Nature became the paramount criteria.
- Thus, the set back hospital building is well lit & ventilated, incorporating plants & landscaping to bring about colourful, bright, soothing and reposeful mood. This landscaping & the building form thus have a somewhat therapeutic Value.
- The white stone from neighbouring village quarries is used for its natural maintenance free beauty. The light colour does not make the building look dull & dark.
- The interplay between light, landscape & the built form continues inside the building also, with focused skylight in the entrance lobby & green courtyards.
- The central arrival porch has the 0. P. D. + diagnostic + administrative wing on one side of the ground floor with the Inpatient department on the other side.
- This facilitates in locking up of the entire O.P.D. wing after working hours leaving the Inpatient wing open for 24 hours.
- The internal planning is based on proper functioning of the various activities with special attention given to the circulation movement patterns of the doctors, nurses, staff, visitors, technicians and patients.
- The landscaped courtyards not only bring in light and ventilation, but they facilitate good view, supervision and act as buffer spaces between two different functions - e.g. between patient arrival and administration or general wards and semi special rooms.
- The nurses' station located in the centre of the inpatient department is very convenient and functional.
- The low lying site allowed for an easy creation of basement under the I.P.D. wing for various service functions and Teletherapy unit.
- Maximum sterility & clean environment considerations have helped design the Operation Theatres' functions.
- All the patients' rooms have access to a partially covered terrace that overlooks the greens. This helps in making the patient feel better, more optimistic about life.
- This hospital is located on the major road connecting Miraj with Sangli (Twin towns, - now a combined Corporation). The entry into the complex is considerably recessed for reasons of safety in vehicular movement and aesthetics. Instead of taking a direct straight central entrance & driveway into the porch way, an off centre entrance with a slightly diagonal entry has been created to bring about more informality in the landscaped environment. This also helped in creating a large mass of green mound on the right side.
- The temple & meditation hall is proposed at one corner between the main road and the building. This structure is designed as an extension of the landscaped mounds.
This project has become a landmark project in giving a totally different image to the generally accepted Hospital building stereotype.